The beauty of making ceviche is that everyone can adapt it to their own tastes. This is the recipe with the ingredients I prefer, but I added suggestions of various ingredients you can add to yours.
Note: I have been told that the “secret” of a perfect ceviche is to cut all the pieces the same size, but I like the jalapeno cut thinly so it is not too spicy in one bite.
- 300g of firm white fish
- Handful of cilantro (coriander), roughly chopped
- ½ red onion
- ½ mango, not too ripped
- 1 tomato
- Juice of 3 big limes
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon (or half an orange)
- 1 jalapeno, thinly chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 2 pinches of paprika
- 2 pinches of Cayenne pepper
- Garlic salt (to taste, but I like to put quite a bit)
- ½ red pepper
- Replace the mango with a green apple
- A branch of celery
- 3 radish cut in small pieces
- An avocado not too ripped
- Mix the fish with the cilantro, mango, onion, tomato, jalapeno and all the alternative ingredients if used.
- Add the dry spices
- Add lime juice
- Marinate refrigerated for about 30 minutes
- Serve with corn tortillas or of you want a healthier version, thick slices of English cucumber